Chickpeas are a high fibre, high protein food source and are a perfect snack for both you and your child. These baked chickpeas are incredibly easy to make and are a delicious, healthy alternative to crisps. As Finn loves curry I made these using curry powder and they tasted so good. Just be careful when buying pre mixed curry powder as often they contain a lot of salt.
If curry isn’t your thing you could substitute the curry powder with a mix of Italian dried herbs such as oregano, basil & rosemary. You could even try sweetening them using honey and cinnamon.
I like to throw them into wraps and salad bowls to add a little crunch and texture.
Note: Whole chickpeas can pose a chocking hazard to young toddlers and babies but if you would still like to try this snack with your tot you can cut the chickpeas in half before roasting them.
- 1 400g can of chickpeas (drained weight 240g)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp mild curry powder
- Pre heat oven to 200c / 400f / Gas 6
- Drain and rise the chickpeas and then blot dry with kitchen roll.
- Foil a baking tray and place the chickpeas on top.
- Drizzle the oil over the chickpeas and sprinkle the curry powder on top. Shake the baking tray or mix with your hands to ensure all the chickpeas are coated.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes (until crispy).