Fruity Chickpea Cookies – A healthy high fibre, high protein cookie sweetened only with fruit.
Finn started school this week and so I have all of a sudden been thrown into the world of lunch boxes. I had a little taster of it while he attended pre school but now that he needs a lunch box five days a week I have been thinking a lot more about healthy lunch box ideas that are quick and easy and meet the school criteria of being nut free.
I plan to add, very soon, a section to this site all about lunch boxes. I will include the lunch boxes I have prepared, lunch box recipe ideas and more information about the lunch boxes I use. In the meantime you can see these ideas on my instagram.
These fruity chickpea cookies are the first recipe I have developed with the lunch box in mind. I can’t believe how many of my recipes contain nuts or peanut butter. I think I may have an addiction! Although I think some peanut butter and some crunchy nuts would taste great in these cookies I really wanted something that I could throw into the freezer to take out for the lunch box when needed.
If you are looking for something sweet and indulgent then these aren’t the cookies for you. However, if you are looking for something healthy, high in fibre, protein and packed full of goodness then these fit the bill exactly. If your kids don’t need a lot of sweetness then these are perfect. The raspberries and blueberries give great flavour bursts but if you think that these would benefit from a little more sweetness then you can always up the dates or add a little sweetener of choice.
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 400g can chick peas (drained and thoroughly washed)
- 1 small ripe banana
- 95g (1/3 cup) apple puree
- 70g (3/4 cup) rolled oats
- 25g (5 small) dates**
- 75g (1/2 cup) frozen raspberries
- 45g (1/4 cup) frozen blueberries
- Pre heat oven to 180c /350 F / Gas 4 and prepare two baking trays with baking paper / re usable baking sheets.
- Combine the chia seeds, water and vanilla extract together in a bowl.
- Add the chickpeas, banana, apple puree, oats and dates to a food processor and blitz until smooth. Add the chia seed mixture and pulse until combined.
- Remove blade and stir through the raspberries and blueberries.
- Form table spoon sized cookies onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 mins.