Mexican Lentil Bake, fantastic as part of a main meal or to pop into a lunch box.
When Rory first started solids I developed a lot of recipes that made doing BLW (baby led weaning) easier when out and about. Although he ate what we ate at home, I often found it difficult to find something to order for him when we were at a restaurant. I wanted healthy, finger foods that limited mess and that would taste great hot or cold. Fast forward a couple of years and I am now revisiting all these recipes again but this time for packing into Finn’s school lunch box.
One recipe that I like to make a lot is my curried lentil bake. I like it because I can make it and serve it with a salad / vegetables in the evening and then pack the left overs in the pack lunch box. I recently received a comment from a reader (Hi Amanda, if you are reading) who had said that she loves lentil bakes and would like to see some more variations on the blog. She suggested a Mexican version and a Kale and Mushroom version. I loved the sound of a Mexican Lentil Bake so here it is!
I kept the base recipe the same but replaced the curry powder with smoked paprika, cumin, oregano and fresh corriander (cilantro). Instead of the carrot I added red pepper and replaced the potato with kidney beans.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (finely chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 410g can kidney beans (drained)
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- ⅓ packed cup (40g) grated cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro)
- Pre heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas4
- Heat oil in pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery and pepper then reduce the heat to low and cook for approx. 10 mins (until softened.)
- Add the smoked paprika, cumin and oregano and cook for a further minute
- Add the lentils & stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to low. Allow to simmer until cooked (lentils soft and stock absorbed) (approx. 20 mins)
- Once lentils are cooked, allow to cool slightly then add the kidney beans, eggs, cheese and corriander. Stir until combined.
- Place the mixture in a greased, ovenproof dish (mine was 10" x 7.5")
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 mins or until set and golden (mine took 35 mins) but timings will vary with ovens.
- Slice and serve.